Cache Placement Guidelines
From OpenCaching US
For the good of the caching community and those seeking your cache, consider the following prior to placing a cache.
- Respect all local laws and property rights.
- Seek permission to place the cache from the property owner/land manager.
- Do not dig, disassemble, or destroy property when placing or seeking a cache.
- Do not hide a cache where the location or the container will raise suspicion with people in the area or law enforcement.
- Use a clear container when possible and always mark the container as a geocache.
Forbidden sites for cache placement
Do not place a cache near:
- Elementary or Secondary Schools
- Railroad tracks
- Government buildings
- Military installations
- Ecologically protected areas
- Any place that has a policy against caches
Keep in mind that your hide may become someone's first geocache find.
- What impression of the hobby will they have after finding your cache?
- Will they likely want to search for another one?
Consider the location prior to placing and listing the cache.
- Would you want to bring a friend to this spot?
- Is this spot appropriate for the additional traffic (people & vehicles) that this cache could potentially bring to the area.
Consider the container you intend to use.
- Is it waterproof or will the contents, including paper log, get wet?
- Will the container be able to withstand being exposed to the elements for an extended period of time? Some examples of poor containers are:
- Plastic bags used as the actual cache, because it breaks down quickly. (Inside a sturdy container they are great!)
- Glass jars, because they can shatter and injure someone.
- Candy tins, because they rust very quickly.
- Ammo cans that still bear military markings, because they look dangerous to the average person.
Perform regular cache maintenance
- Periodically check the container, contents, and logbook. Replace or repair items as necessary.
- If the area is developing 'geo-trails' from people seeking the cache, consider moving or archiving the cache.
- A site that is attempting to capture caching policies of land managers all over the U.S. GeocachingPolicy